Thank you for visiting www.MattyBDEPT.com The squad proudly contains three Olympians, a Commonwealth Games champion, Stawell gift winner, Australian junior and senior representatives, National Champions and multiple NSW and Victorian Gift winners.
I hope to see you back here again and again.
Melissa Breen and Lauren Wells have both shown exciting early season form with Commonwealth Games qualifiers and victories at the Albury Gift.
Melissa ran a scintillating 11.32 on a wet track on Friday night in Canberra whilst Lauren ran a very impressive 56.95 season opening 400m Hurdles.
On Australia both girls competed at the Albury Gift carnival. Lauren took out victory in the 300m events with a barnstorming finish. Not to be out done Melissa also took home a sash with victory in the Women’s 120m Gift.
In what could be a first Melissa’s victory was from a mark of -0.5m meaning she actually ran more than 120m but was still able to chase down and cross the line first.
Another winner for the squad over the weekend was new member Laura Jane (LJ) Hilditch. LJ exploded out of the blocks and couldn’t be run down in the 70m at the Wangaratta Gift carnival held on the 25th January.
In other great squad results the following squad athletes did us proud running in a final at either Wangaratta or Albury Gift.
- Brendan Matthews – Wangaratta 120m Gift (3rd)
- Thomas Hobson – Wangaratta 800m and Albury 400m
- Shaun Hargreaves – Wangaratta 400m
- Emma Zalcman – Wangaratta Women’s 400m
- Rachael Carnegie – Wangaratta Women’s 400m
- Reece Langdon – Wangaratta Under 20 400m
- Jarred Parrello – Albury 70m Backmarkers
- Sam Pomroy – Albury 70m Frontmarkers and Women’s Gift
- Nathan McNab – Albury 70m Frontmarkers
- LJ Hilditch – Albury Women’s 120m
- Kevin Matthews – Albury 120m Vets
- Vicki Matthews – Wangaratta 300m Vets
Congratulations to all.
Albury Video footage
Great to have a few of the squad run on the new track here in Canberra.
Track is fast and there will be many PB’s throughout the summer I am sure.
A wonderful 2 days of racing at Queanbeyan Park with 15 squad athletes competing in events ranging from 70m to 600m.
Congratulations to Brendan Matthews for winning the Men’s Backmarkers
Other finalists included
- Rachael Carnegie 3rd in the 300m
- Thomas Hobson 3rd in the 600m
- Kev Matthews Final of the Vets 100m
- Lauren Wells 6th in the Women’s Backmarkers
Congratulations to the following first time runners in pro running
- Reece Langdon
- Courtney Leary (who also celebrated her 16th Birthday on Sunday)
- Thomas Hobson
- Noah Geleris
- Jarred Parrelo
Race footage now available
Thank you to all volunteers and officials and especially to Tracey Lamont and the Queanbeyan City Council for their hard work and support of the QBN Gift.
See you next year.