On behalf of everyone involved with MBD we wish squad elite ambassadors Melissa Breen and Lauren Wells every success as they proudly represent their country in their second Olympic Games in Rio.
For those keen to watch and support these are the Australian (Canberra) times for all rounds of their events.
Melissa Breen – 100m
- Heat – 11.40am (Saturday 13th August)
- Semi – 10.00am (Sunday 14th August)
- Final – 11.37am (Sunday 14th August)
Lauren Wells – 400m Hurdles
- Heat – 10.30am (Tuesday 16th August)
- Semi – 10.10am (Wednesday 17th August)
- Final – 11.15am (Friday 19th August)
MBD would also like to thank and congratulate everyone who has been involved in the journey of Lauren and Melissa to the Olympic Games from family, friends, support staff, squad members, sponsors, media and fans.
Bring on the Olympic Games
What a few days for the MBD squad in Sydney!
Congratulations to 2016 National Open Champions.
- Lauren Wells (400m Hurdles) taking her 9th title and locking in Olympic selection.
- Melissa Breen (100m) retaining her title and taking her 6th overall national title
- Leigh Bennett (400m Hurdles) and his first ever at age 30.
This takes the squad total to 21 national open titles in the past 11 years!
To say the whole squad is proud would be a gross understatement. Thank you to all 3 of you for being an inspiration to all in the squad and it is no surprise to see you get this reward for your hard work and dedication.
Special mention also to Sarah Blizzard who topped off her amazing season with a huge PB in the 200m.This is after a 3rd place in the Women’s Stawell Gift last weekend , 2nd in the Stonnington Gift and her first ever sub 12 second 100m in February.
Another year and another successful Stawell Gift adventure for MBD.
Thank you to everyone who played a part in an extremely enjoyable Easter weekend. Special mention to massage therapist Scott Smith for his work over the 4 days, Neil Blizzard for his unwavering support of our squad including the marquee and Sue Blizzard for the photos.
Also thank you to the Stawell Athletics Club for their generosity and amazing effort they put into making the Stawell Gift carnival so special and iconic.
- Lauren Wells dominant victory in Women’s 400m as the back marker.
- Sarah Blizzard 3rd in Women’s Stawell Gift. Also her third straight final appearance.
- Sarah also became the first female to win the “Eric Cumming Memorial Cup” for best sprinter at the Stawell Gift.
- Melissa Breen 4th in Invitation Backmarkers.
- Vicki Matthews final 300m Veterans.
- Jonathan Stefaniak victory in his first ever race at Stawell. Vets 100m heat.
- Our youngest ever participant Chloe Smith (10 years old) competing in Little Athletics events.
Congratulations to all to proudly represented MBD – Sarah, Lauren, Melissa, Kayla, Rachael, Sam, Jonathan, Chloe, Vicki and Kev.
The countdown has already begun for 2017 Stawell Gift.