Melissa Breen and Lauren Wells have both shown exciting early season form with Commonwealth Games qualifiers and victories at the Albury Gift.
Melissa ran a scintillating 11.32 on a wet track on Friday night in Canberra whilst Lauren ran a very impressive 56.95 season opening 400m Hurdles.
On Australia both girls competed at the Albury Gift carnival. Lauren took out victory in the 300m events with a barnstorming finish. Not to be out done Melissa also took home a sash with victory in the Women’s 120m Gift.
In what could be a first Melissa’s victory was from a mark of -0.5m meaning she actually ran more than 120m but was still able to chase down and cross the line first.
Another winner for the squad over the weekend was new member Laura Jane (LJ) Hilditch. LJ exploded out of the blocks and couldn’t be run down in the 70m at the Wangaratta Gift carnival held on the 25th January.
In other great squad results the following squad athletes did us proud running in a final at either Wangaratta or Albury Gift.
- Brendan Matthews – Wangaratta 120m Gift (3rd)
- Thomas Hobson – Wangaratta 800m and Albury 400m
- Shaun Hargreaves – Wangaratta 400m
- Emma Zalcman – Wangaratta Women’s 400m
- Rachael Carnegie – Wangaratta Women’s 400m
- Reece Langdon – Wangaratta Under 20 400m
- Jarred Parrello – Albury 70m Backmarkers
- Sam Pomroy – Albury 70m Frontmarkers and Women’s Gift
- Nathan McNab – Albury 70m Frontmarkers
- LJ Hilditch – Albury Women’s 120m
- Kevin Matthews – Albury 120m Vets
- Vicki Matthews – Wangaratta 300m Vets
Congratulations to all.