Former Olympic athlete, Matt Beckenham has developed into one of Australia’s finest track and field coaches with his fresh, innovative and highly motivating attitude.
After competing at the Sydney 2000 games MattyB retired from international competition in 2002 and established a coaching business called MattyB’s FIT4FUN for development age athletes with a focus on fun and participation.
Within less than 10 years the business had expanded primarily due to the coaching success MattyB’s was getting with the senior athletes at Commonwealth, Olympic and World championship level. The business is now widely known as MattyB DEPT (MBD). Whilst the original FIT4FUN junior coaching remains the MBD now reflects all aspects of coaching now delivered through the business.
Importantly many of the successful senior athletes are proud graduates of the FIT4FUN program demonstrating MattyB’s clear skill in the long term development of an athlete. MattyB is now clearly one of the most professionally qualified track and field coaches in the country and now has a performance record with his athletes to match these qualifications.
- Masters Applied Science – Sports Coaching (University of Queensland)
- Bachelor Applied Science – Sports Administration (University of Canberra)
- Level 5 IAAF Acadmey Diploma Sprints & Hurdles (Distinction)
- Level 4 ATFCA Coaching Young Athlete
- Certificate 3 in Personal Fitness
- Level 1 Strength and Condition Coach Qualification
- Blue Card Working with Children (590479/1)
- Senior First Aid Qualification
- Sydney 2000 Olympian
- 1998 Commonwealth Games Representative
- AIS track and field scholarship coach 2005-2006
- AIS post graduate scholar – Biomechanics -2007
- ACTAS Program Coordinator – Athletics 2006-2008
- Lecturer 2008 IAAF Level 3 Sprints, Hurdles and Relays course
- 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games Head Coach
- 2010 Olympic Youth Head Coach
- 2010 Commonwealth Games Team Coach
- 2009 Australian World University Games Team Coach
- 2005 Australian World Youth Team Coach
- 2005 Olympic Youth Festival Team Coach
- ACT Little Athletics Development Officer 2000-04
- 2008/09/10 AAC National Trainer of the Year
- 2008/09/10/11 ACTSPORT Coach of the Year Finalist
- 2006/07/08/09/10/11/12 ACT Athletics Coach of the Year
- 2007/08/09/10/11 NSW Athletic League Trainer of the Year
- 2004/05/06 ACT Junior Athletics Coach of the Year
Presentation speech when receiving 2008/09 National Trainer of the Year